Friday, August 13, 2010

Family Business

As a student of a premier business school, I am surprised when I encounter confusion about family business. Most recently is the belief that Family Business is the same as Entrepreneurship.

I'm not sure what is at the root of this heuristic, but I surmise it is based on the belief that family businesses are small thus have a lot in common with start up operations.

I know for a fact that this is a fallacy, but I struggle with trying to open people's eyes.

The best I can do is point out large enterprises that were or are still family owned/controlled and hope that people will suspend their beliefs for a few moments to hear me out. Examples such as:

1. CanWest - one of the largest Canadian broadcasters. A large interest is held by the Asper family. In this past year, the company filed for bankruptcy protection.
2. Molson - one of my favourite brewers.
3. Chapmans ice cream - deliciously family run.
4. Rogers - wireless, media, baseball... family?
5. Irving - oil/gas. Family run business.

I ask, no I beg. Please do not allow your assumptions cloud your ability to think critically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers