Friday, October 15, 2010

The ultimate irony: attempt to save time results in 10 hour project and little sleep

I'm taking a really neat business design class. We have been learning how to create a visual representation of our ideas. The first assignment - due this morning, was a description of ourselves. The catch?
The description was in the form of a map. Aka, a solar system of characteristics, thoughts, feelings, people and places that are a reflection and/or helped to create us. The assignment was interesting as I ended up doing a bit of soul searching and made some discoveries about myself.

The second part of the assignment was the creation of a non-verbal essay. Same topic. My plan was to create a collage of things that I think best represent me - inner and outer attributes. The best part was I was going to use different materials glued to the board to create a tactile experience as well. I think a physical medium would have been the best way to represent me as I enjoy using all my senses. Did you guess that things didn't work out exactly as planned?

Well, I spent far more time than allotted working on my financial management presentation. I had the materials gathered, However I wasn't able to print the photos that I planned to use. Plus, my computer is still broken so I don't have access to the greater part of my photo collection. Due to time constraints, I opted to make a video as I had been led to believe that with free editing software, editing was going to be a breeze. What a joke. I have a pc, so i used the default software, movie maker. And ran into problem, after problem, after problem. I recorded mini videos on my iPhone so that I could string together moving and still photography - nope! File format not supported. Plan B. I'll import b-roll video from you tube. Nope, can't do that either. In the end, I handed in a truly uninspiring static slideshow. No music either because apparently the iTunes download was too advanced. Seriously. No music - after spending $20 as the track I wanted had to be purchased as an album.

The irony of it all is the fact that this crappy product took 10 hours to put together. In that amount of time I would have had an amazing collage!

Meh! After only 2 hours of sleep, I'm up again and at the airport. Even though I likely failed this assignment, I'm determined to create that collage, just to prove to myself that it would have been great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers