Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Summer winding down? School year winds up!

It's hard to believe that at this time last year, I was in countdown mode. I gave my notice to my bosses 3 months in advance of my departure so that they would have plenty of time to find an appropriate replacement. I was working like a dog trying to get ahead in my projects so that my boss, and friend, would not be stuck holding the bag when my eventual replacement hadn't yet been hired. I was stressed out beyond belief, so much so that I had a permanent eye twitch.

Ahh, the memories. So much has changed!

This summer is relaxed by comparison. I am still working on two projects that are managable in scale. One, the independent study that I have told you a bit about, and the other, developing a digital strategy document for a local business. Both have kept my brain from going to mush this summer, and yet give me time to enjoy the things that I have not focused on in the past year: fitness, outdoors, friendship and family.

All of this rest and relaxation has made me forget that it is almost August and for some, the anticipation of the new year has begun.

Today I met two students who are just starting their Rotman journey. Both had arrived earlier this week from India and are just settling in and trying to get oriented in the city, directions all relate to the proximity to the CN Tower. I am ashamed to admit that I have already forgotten their names - particularly after spending 5 minutes fumbling over the pronounciation.

Student: "It's asdflkasdo"
Me: "Huh?"
Student: "sdflasdfkjo"
Me: "Slower, please"
Student: "Just call me George"

I promise you, I have always been bad at remembering names, but I will get it one of these days.

Next week is Rotman International Orientation, so I'd like to give a warm welcome to all my new collegues. Be sure to remember the feeling you have right now. Anticipation. Excitement. Relaxation. Enthusiasm. Remember it. Hold on tight. Because I promise you, at some point this year you will be sneaking out of class to cry in the bathroom because something doesn't make sense and you'll have forgotten how happy you were to be completing your MBA.

Have no fear. By this time next summer you will once again be bright eyed and bushy tailed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers