Friday, February 12, 2010

Shoot the Dog

A familiar 2x2 matrix made an appearance in marketing class: Yes, dear friends, it's the matrix that was created by BCG in order to make decisions about products in the marketplace. I won't bore you with the details because then you would have no reason to take an MBA, but the idea is you would like to have products in any category other than the ones with low market share & more growth. Make sense?

Products that are in a dying segment that don't make much money are called 'dogs'. Insensitive business people will say that you need to "shoot the dog." The problem today was the dog looked eerily similar to my dog Daisy. So, when professor Soberman was saying 'shoot the dog', I was hearing 'shoot Daisy'.

Truthfully, I am a bit sensitive when it comes to my dog, particularly since she has cancer, but I'll admit, after class, my laptop wouldn't start and I kind of lost it. MBA exacerbates any stressors in your personal life. Be prepared.

1 comment:

  1. BCG should take note of this comment.They should use any other name than using any animal's name.

    ReplyDelete

Followers