Monday, September 21, 2009

Green with envy

I've discovered a growing jealousy of people in the class who are either Economists or Accountants but for vastly different reasons.

Economists
Of the classes we are taking thus far, Economics is far and away my favourite. The material is interesting, plus the professor is EXTREMELY engaging. He practically oozes love of the subject and that enthusiasm has started to rub off. I am now jealous of the economists in the class because they have had YEARS to enjoy this stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to switch paths and become an economist, because I would be driven nuts with the math, but I am really loving the class. Next week is our second quiz which is based on only 2 lectures. You would think that would mean less material covered, thus easier quiz. Wrong. Based on what I saw today, it is going to be MUCH more challenging. Bad News: STUDYING. Good News: Very useful!

Accountants
I have to say that accounting thus far is my least favourite class. Not that I strongly dislike the subject or the lecturer, but in comparison to the others, this one is not keeping my attention as much as I would like. The reason I'm jealous of the accountants in the room is because they have somehow found a way to love the subject. They love it SO much that they actually pursued a profession in it. The class itself will be quite useful, so I am still going to try really hard to love it. But what have I learned so far boils down to this:

Hire an accountant.

Even the professor keeps reminding us that he's not an accountant. That being said, it is an important and necessary subject, so I may as well learn to love it because I can't escape it. Not now as a student, nor in the future as a business leader. Quiz next week in accounting too (5%).

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis :)

    I agree... Our Econ prof is loving (and making us love) the course.

    As for Accounting, most of us will just have to learn to "love it enough".

    ReplyDelete

Followers