Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Besides compensation, what are other benefits that an employee will be looking for?

This was the question that was posed in Accounting class. In an attempt to raise the bar on class participation, I attempted to use an example from my advertising agency world. Well, I got interrupted and ended up looking like a total airhead.

Me: "In my previous job, the environment was a lot of fun..."
Prof: "OK" (starts to gesture to the next person
Me: "... because there were a lot of young people and parties...
Prof: "So you like parties" (smirk, and gesture to the next person)
FAIL

If I had my act together, I would have said,
Me: "The company culture makes a big difference. For example, when I worked in advertising, I was surrounded by young, like minded individuals, like myself. Overall it was a fun environment."
Prof: "Megan, that was really insightful" (ok, he never would have said that, but there wouldn't have been a smirk)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers