Sunday, May 9, 2010

Bombay

I am sitting in my hotel room in Mumbai India after my alarm clock failed to go off. I feel terribly guilty for standing up my friend this morning at 5:30 AM! We were going to go check out a fishing village to see the boats come in - hopefully I can get a rain-check!

I've been in India for the past week and a bit. What a neat country! Delhi was mainly under construction while we were there, but there was a certain energy and optimism everywhere we went - even though we were all under security threats at the time. Let me tell you, there is nothing like waking up to CNN calling where you are 'Terror Central' and reading in the newspaper that an attack is 'imminent'! And yet, life on the streets of Delhi continued as normal!

We spent 2 days in Hyderabad. Not nearly enough time to get the flavour of the city!

Yesterday was our first free day. We went to the Elephanta Caves on one of the 7 islands of Bombay. What a surreal place! It is an island temple that was carved hundreds of years ago out of a solid piece of volcanic rock. Huge statues of the god Shiva were carved into the walls of the temple showing pieces of the legend of his life. Like everything in India, it was an absolute wonder to see. It was EXTREMELY hot for my poor Canadian skin (40+ Celcius plus humidity!), but so very worth it! We then went for a walk along the harbour before calling it a night. Mumbai is positively beautiful!

The trip has been a whirlwind of company visits intermixed with transfer between locations. The companies themselves have been AMAZING! More on that later.

On a final note - Indian food is the best. I've been trying so many new and interesting dishes with names I cannot pronounce. The way the flavours intermix on my tongue is mind blowing! Nearly every meal has been amazing.

We have to buy Internet access in the hotel by the 1/2 hour and I see my time is nearly up. Usually a sign that my blog post is getting a little bit long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers