Monday, January 25, 2010

What can't technology do?

Using technology helps to put knowledge into action. For the second time this quarter, we used online simulation software - and it was AWESOME!

The premise was simple:
Two teams, Intel and Microsoft must make two Decisions: Release a new processor/operating system? What is the price?
Decisions are made simultaneously and the idea is to maximize profit (obviously).

As the uber nerd that I am, I went ahead and and created a decision tree, trying to decide whether it would be in the best interest of my team, Intel to release a new processor. After much back and forth, we got the hang of it and eventually realized decent profits.

As someone famous once said, business isn't fun, but that doesn't mean there can't be fun in business. These simulations are a good example of this phenomenon. Classes aren't (usually) fun, but that doesn't mean that there can't be fun in class.

Doesn't that screen grab make you wisht that you could 'play'? Don't tell anyone, I secretly can't wait to try the program again so that I can try something different to see if I can make even more faux dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers