Tuesday, November 17, 2009

We all get a time to shine

I finally got a moment to shine in class today - good ol' Marketing. Today was the one lecture on advertising. As usual, the class spent most of the time talking about commercials. My absolute pet peeve is that when people talk about advertising, they always concentrate on the message and never on the vehicle. We literally talked about media for about 5 minutes. Does this make sense? For a change, I'm going to use some numbers:

Creative budget: $1 million
Media budget: $10 million

Hmmmm - so why are we always talking about creative?

Another comparison:

Great commercial (creative)
No one sees it (media)

Is this not just as bad as bad creative that everyone sees? Media planning deserves more respect!!

I suspect that I gave a bit TOO MUCH perspective in class today... What can I say, it isn't often in the MBA that I get to be an 'expert'. I have to say though, I'm only getting a 4.5 (out of 5) for participation. I'm a bit disappointed - at least 1 person is getting a 5 and for once, I'd like to be at the front of the class!

In other news, I almost fell asleep in accounting today. I feel really bad for our prof - our lecture is near the end of the day, and no matter how dynamic he tries to be, the material is really dry.

A colleague really loves accounting and today I asked her why. Her response was 'because it's so easy.' I almost threw up in my mouth. I absolutely don't think it's easy. I think what she was trying to say is it's all memorization and little interpretation. Learn the rules, learn the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers