Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Why the King is like an MBA class

Much like in advertising, not every class will appeal to every person. In my old career I used to hear comments from people about how they just 'didn't get' a particular commercial.

As an example my mom shakes her head at 'the King' that is used by Burger King. When people don't understand an ad, my explanation was always, 'you don't understand because it wasn't created for you.' My mom doesn't get the king because she isn't a teenage boy. The character wasn't created for my mom.

I think the same thing applies to the first year MBA program. For example, I don't eagerly tear into the reading and homework from finance like others in my class. You won't hear me make an accounting joke. Ever. The reason? Much the same as why my mom doesn't get the King - I'm not the main target. I don't have aspirations to become a future CFO, Financial Analyst or Banker.

Does this mean that I don't care about the subjects or think that they are not valuable? Of course not. Just because you might be creeped out by the King doesn't mean you won't enjoy a Whopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers