Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sleep is for chumps!

As we were warned, this week has been an absolute dog and pony show. Yesterday I was in the Rotman building for 15 hours - and still didn't get everything done. Today, class started at 8 AM with Accounting. Seriously? Who scheduled 8 a.m. accounting. Don't get me wrong, our new accounting prof is delightful, but delightful or not, my brain refuses to wake up until it has been fed at least 2 cups of caffeine.

The promised the requisite 3 hours of Finance homework was tricky, but I did finally end up understanding it. Unfortunately the macros in the the 'bond builder' excel program decided to screw up so all my answers are wrong. I guess I do need to learn how to use my new business calculator after all! Excel is a great program, but even it can be fooled!

Today was an outing with the Entertainment and Media club to visit Jazz FM - a local Toronto radio station. It was an interesting tour and talk with the CEO, Ross Porter. As a niche format, the station operates quite differently from other commercial radio stations and in addition to selling advertisements (4 minutes per hour), they are a registered charity and rely on funding from sponsors and individual donors. In fact, they employ a fundraiser in addition to their commercial sales force.

The facility itself was positively GORGEOUS! Just what you would expect from a classy Jazz station. It was in the Liberty West Village in a converted warehouse. Really high ceilings with lots of natural light through skylights. It was really open concept and had a second floor loft (also open) that they called the 'tree house.' I wish I had taken photos! I learned quite a bit about their operation and was glad to have the opportunity. Ross was really candid in his discussion with us which was much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers